Sunday 11 May 2008

Soroptimist International Conference

Today I was delighted to speak at a joint regional conference of Soroptimist International. Soroptimist International is a worldwide organisation for women in management and the professions, working through service projects to advance human rights and the status of women. The word Soroptimist comes from the Latin words soror meaning "sister" and optima meaning "best", and loosely translates as "best for women".

http://www.soroptimist-gbi.org/about

I was at the South Lancashire and North West England and the Isle of Man conference at the Daresbury Park Hotel, Warrington. The theme was 'Health, Wealth and Happiness'. The 150 ladies (and one male speaker) listened to my presentation which I had adapted for their theme. Several ladies told me that they found my tips on how to help people suffering with this problem very useful. Several had been affected themselves or a close family member had been. I apparently educated as well as entertained, which is my aim. One lady expressed that she wished she had know the symptoms and signs years earlier as she would have understood and been able to help one of her relatives far more.

It was a wonderful conference and I was made most welcome. I was also invited to the evening dinner where some extremely talented young musicians from the Royal Northern College of Music entertained us. They made me want to encourage Dominic's drum lessons even more!

The conference report is here

http://www.soroptimist-gbi.org/clubs/north_west_england_and_the_isle_of_man_region/news/33207/

I look forward to attending more Soroptimist's events.

www.elainehanzak.co.uk

No comments: