During Postnatal Depression Awareness Week (14 - 20 November), beyondblue: the national depression initiative launched the Just Speak Up Campaign – a new awareness campaign aimed at pregnant women, new mothers, their partners and families.
Postnatal depression affects one in seven new mothers and up to one in 10 pregnant women experiences antenatal depression. Anxiety is likely to be even more common.
The Just Speak Up Campaign is the culmination of years of beyondblue research and evidence-gathering on the rates and risk factors associated with pre- and postnatal depression and anxiety – and the impact of not seeking help.
The campaign features TV, radio and print ads in which real people (not actors) talk candidly about their experiences of pre- and postnatal depression and anxiety, and how they got help. There is also a new website www.justspeakup.com.au where their personal stories can be watched and people can upload their own stories.
There are many ways you can support the campaign:
- Encourage your friends, family members and partner organisations to visit www.justspeakup.com.au and find out more about pre- and postnatal depression and anxiety.
- Order and display free campaign posters and materials from www.beyondblue.org.au/resources.
- Upload an image to your Facebook profile, website or intranet at http://justspeakup.com.au/spread_the_word and link to www.justspeakup.com.au
- Host a Just Speak Up display or banner ad on your website (email email@example.com with a request for the web ads and specifications).
- Post an article on your website, intranet or include in newsletters (email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a Just Speak Up newsletter article)
- Donate advertising space in your publications (email email@example.com with the specifications, deadline and a request for the print ad file).