Monday 10 March 2008

Shaken babies

This morning I was invited to speak on BBC Radio Three Counties. The topic was about Shaken Baby Syndrome due to the Panorama programme tonight. Although I do not know about the science, etc. involved in this I do have to admit that I shook my baby on his first Christmas Day. He was crying and it was my attempt to shut him up - at the time I was suffering from puerperal psychosis and had lost all rationality in my brain. This does not excuse what I did (and luckily Dominic was okay) but what I can suggest to people is that if they are feeling overwhelmed by parenthood then PLEASE get help before you get to this stage. Much better than having to cope with the consequences afterwards.
I will never forgive myself for what I did and am horrified at the memory of it. I share that memory in the hope it will make someone else 'stop' and get help.

See my website at www.elainehanzak.co.uk

Elaine
x

No comments: