Thursday 27 March 2008

Care Programme Approach

On Wednesday I had a long train journey to Ipswich. I had a lovely meal and overnight stay at The Salthouse Harbour Hotel. http://www.salthouseharbour.co.uk/ My bed was so comfy, heaps of pillows and a huge TV that I was reluctant to have to go to sleep! One of the best rooms I have ever stayed in - a lovely mix of old and new styles!

The following morning I was collected by a very friendly chap called Phil (very best wishes to him and his wife who are expecting their third child next week!). He took me to the Kesgrave Community Centre - another impressive venue! I have to say I am impressed with Ipswich!

I was there to speak at a carer, user and staff Care Programme Approach (CPA) workshop event called Stepping Forward. CPA and Care Plans are the process the NHS use to make sure you receive properly planned and coordinated care. This event was intended to raise the profile of the CPA process. It was hoped that as many users and carer’s from the service would attend to share this day and to become involved in future developments within the trust.

There was a good mix of people there including a psychiatrist and several people who have suffered from mental health problems. Sorry but I do not like the term 'service user'!

My talk was aimed at trying to encourage patients to share their stories with professionals involved in their care but also in a format they are happy to use to inform and teach students. I felt very guilty at making several people cry when I spoke of Angela Harrison who committed suicide due to suffering from puerperal psychosis. www.help4mums.org/ But we do not want any more tragedies like Angela, and that is why I am passionate about telling people about the illness. I have not only benefited personally by sharing my story but my testimonials tell me that I am making a difference out there and I urge others to do so. When I wrote my book initially it was very cathartic and I never anticipated how far it would go but I am delighted it has. So if you communicate by art, poetry, written or spoken word tell your story! We need to empower ourselves but unless we feedback positive and negative aspects of our care nothing will change.

Aly Lynn followed me with her story - she had been a patient in the past and now contributes to the work of the Autistic Society at a national level and has made appearances on national television to campaign. I am not surprised! She was fantastic!

She was followed by a gentleman called Len who bravely told of his involvement with mental services for his adult son. He has worked closely with Suffolk Carers to highlight issues and support the drive for improved service provision. Let's make it happen!

I was fascinated by Tanya Kennard who is MD for Freemind Consultancy. She spoke about 'recovery as a journey, as much as a destination'. I loved her comment that 'hope is the spark that ignites the flame for progress and possibility'.

We broke into groups to come up with an Action Plan for improving the CPA in the Suffolk area. There were calls for another meeting in July to track progress and really make a difference. I wish them well with it and hope to see other areas making positive steps in this way. Working together we are much more likely to make progress.

Please contact Larry below if you would like any more information on this day.

Larry Nicholas S.U.F., Suffolk House, St Clement’s Hospital, Foxhall Road, Ipswich IP3 8LS E-mail: larry.nicholas@smhp.nhs.uk

Thank you Jeannie for inviting me to speak and to all her colleagues and delegates for making me feel most welcome!

Elaine

www.elainehanzak.co.uk

No comments: