Wednesday 9 April 2008

It's not just the mum!

I am increasingly aware of the ripple effects of postnatal illness affecting far more than just the mother. This is always a point I make at my presentations. The partner has a tough time; the baby can; other close family; friends; society ...

But has anyone ever really got an account from an older sibling? What was it like to have all the excitement of an eagerly awaited brother or sister and when they arrive 'it' turns your mum into a potential 'monster'?

I have been asked if anyone knows of anyone who would be willing to share this aspect - Is there anyone out there talking about what it is like as a child of a mum with post natal depression and having to learn how to thrive in chaos?

Or at least a written account? Please let me know.

I have just read Michael Lurie's book ' My journey to her world' about his wife's puerperal psychosis. It is very easy and quick to read and great to hear a description from the male perspective.

Have a look at http://www.mypartnersdepression.com/index.html

I felt rather down today as Nick and I had hoped to be accepted for a business loan to help us out at the moment - we got bad news on that score. However, a fellow sufferer contacted me tonight who was having a much worse time than us and she ended her email with a reminder to herself of my words - 'Remember ... one day you will feel better'!

It put everything into perspective for me! So I'll keep smiling and aim to get my diary with more bookings!

Elaine
x

www.elainehanzak.co.uk






No comments: