Wednesday 11 June 2008

Just missed Ben Bradshaw in Nottingham!

I was in Nottingham yesterday. I had a long-standing meeting to discuss a possible presentation at the a newly opened GP health centre in Kirkby-in-Ashfield. It was a very impressive centre but seemed deserted! Then I discovered it was because they were expecting a visit from the Health Minister Ben Bradshaw who underlined the Government's commitment to investment in family doctor services whilst there.

http://nds.coi.gov.uk/environment/fullDetail.asp?ReleaseID=370125&NewsAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False


Sadly I had to leave before he arrived otherwise, given the opportunity, I would have loved to have raised the issue of lack of mother and baby beds in the UK; lack of support groups, etc. with him. One day soon ....

I then had the privilege to speak to student midwives at Nottingham University about the importance of perinatal mental health. It amazes and concerns me that not all such courses cover the subject in much detail. This must surely be changed? Let me know if you are a midwifery student who does not get this area covered.

www.elainehanzak.co.uk

No comments: