Friday 23 April 2010

How does it feel to suffer from puerperal/postpartum psychosis?

Via Facebook I have been shown a moving, personal film and reflections on puerperal psychosis.

It made me cry! Many people who have read my book and heard my story comment I am brave to do so. I don't think I am but I am passionate about saving others from the hell we went through as a family.

I am delighted when I receive feedback that a friend or professional has spotted early signs of postnatal illness due to my story/talk and that support and intervention has been put in as a result. We cannot measure the 'success' of that, but I know it feels right.

My 'baby' is 14 on Monday yet watching this YouTube film brought back many of the feelings I had all those years ago. Feelings that run so deep they remain with you like letters in a stick of rock. Other sufferers often thank me for making them feel that they are not alone, that they are not a bad mother.

Thank you Andrea for sharing this ... because YOU made ME feel that and why we must all work together to ease the suffering of others.

Now get your tissues ..


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqONixM7MW0

Elaine Hanzak

www.hanzak.com

No comments: