Monday 5 April 2010

Radio 5 live and Billie Piper on postnatal depression.

I got an early morning Easter Monday call to be on Radio 5 live breakfast phone-in this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/
You should be able to listen again for 9 - 10.00 am.

Yesterday actress Billie Piper was in the news for admitting that she and her husband had suffered with postnatal depression following the birth of their son. I am always glad when celebrities 'come out' as it does give the media an opportunity to air the subject for the rest of us non-celebs!

Read about her here:
 http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/w0002151.html

I was pleased the programme stressed about how it affects fathers too, which is good. Other issues such as staffing levels, care in the community, etc. were raised.

I was sorry I didn't get chance to offer some tips on recovery and to talk about my involvement with Ann Girling and The Wellbeing Project  http://www.wellbeingproject.co.uk/  about the pilot antenatal workshops we are doing.

Support and communication are the two main keys to recovery. Have a look at the advice section on my website. One comment was made on the programme that where the 'mother is mothered' the risk of postnatal illness is lessened. I agree with that but as the new mother you have to allow that to happen!

One lady also commented on the support she had got from a children's centre. So pleased Ann and I are doing training for them!

There were a few comments from people who have either had a good time as parents or no experience of depression and their ignorance and intolerance for those of us who have would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.


Happy Easter!

Elaine Hanzak

www.hanzak.com

No comments: