Wednesday 16 July 2008

University of Salford

I had the honour this week to speak to a group of students who are in their 2nd year of a mental health nursing course at the University of Salford.

I regularly speak here and was thrilled when their tutor asked if I would consider becoming an honorary lecturer there.

I gave my story; how mental illness can affect families, etc; signs to look out for and the things which really matter to patients. I loved doing it!

Even better was the response from their tutor, Dr. Hogg:-

Elaine, I wanted to thank you for your teaching sessions and to convey to you the power and the impact your sessions have had with the students nurses here at Salford. One student commented that this was the best session she has had in the 3 years she has been at University. Others have said that they have been inspired and you have given them a different view on caring. Most of all, it seems to motivate them to really think of the person in front of them- and not just a diagnosis. To me you can't put a price on that! Thank you!

I am delighted with comments like that and hope to talk to many more students!

It is so good to show that it is possible to recover from a serious mental illness and I was pleased that the elements of Hope and Kindness were picked up by the students as crucial nursing skills.

Good luck guys with the rest of your course!

Elaine
www.elainehanzak.co.uk

No comments: