Friday 23 January 2009

Postnatal Illness - making a positive difference in Doncaster

I had the pleasure today of addressing an audience of health professionals and others at an event held at The Dome in Doncaster.
http://www.the-dome.co.uk/.

The day had been organised by Ilona Vindule who is the Commissioning Manager (Mental Health and Substance Misuse)NHS. She heard me speak at an event last year for Healthcare Events. www.healthcare-events.co.uk

Ilona asked me to inspire and motivate but also to give some examples of good practice of clinical pathways for maternal mental health.

I was most impressed by the stakeholders who attended and the enthusiasm to improve services was very obvious. Ilona is going to compile a report of the recommendations made during the day and I hope this sees the start of positive improvements for the wellbeing of the mothers and families in the Doncaster area.

The examples I suggested were:-

The East Midlands have an effective managed clinical pathway. This is useful as a model for commissioners to look at.
www.pmmrc.health.govt.nz/moh.nsf/pagescm/7489/$File/perinatal-psychiatric-services.pdf

I have heard that Glasgow have a good scheme under Dr Roch Cantwell.

Also Kirklees www.kirklees-pct.nhs.uk/uploads/tx_galileodocuments/Maternal_Mental_Health_Policy.pdf

The Western Area have an impressive scheme and documents.
http://www.whssb.n-i.nhs.uk/publication/WHSSB_Maternal_Mental_Health_Guidelines.pdf.


In my home area of the North West of UK we have had a Regional Infant and Maternal mental Health Network. Although we still have a way to go the wheels are in motion to improve services.
www.northwest.csip.org.uk/silo/files/immheventreport.doc

I also am a huge fan of the Tamworth PND support group who have an excellent model of a rolling eight week programme.
http://www.tamworthpostnatalsupportgroup.com/

If you need to keep up to date with perinatal mental health matters I recommend that you join the mailing list at www.jan-net.com

If anyone has any other areas which are worthy of shouting about please tell me and I can put you on my newsletter - to follow very soon!

Well done Ilona for a very good event.

Her comment on me was:-

‘I found Elaine’s talk very informative and a good source for finding out about examples of good practices in the development of maternal mental health services. For us, commissioners and health professionals, service user should be in the center of every service we develop and deliver. Elaine can be seen as a partner as she possesses wealth of information gained not only through her personal experience, but also through her activities at national and international arenas, - we have to appreciate it.’ Ilona Vindule, Commissioning Manager, NHS Doncaster

Thank you,

Elaine


www.hanzak.com

No comments: