Wednesday 27 May 2009

Postpartum Support International

In recent months if you have heard me speaking at an event I will most likely have mentioned PSI http://postpartum.net/ and their mission for mothers affected by a perinatal mood disorder of 'you are not alone, you are not to blame and with help, you will get better'.

Well today my membership pack arrived so I felt I should share it. I first heard of PSI when I had written my book but wondered if it would 'translate' to USA. I asked the then President of PSI Diana Lynn Barnes http://www.postpartumhealth.com/html/dlb.html if she would look at it. Not only did she give it high praise but she also wrote a foreword for it. Since then we have become internet friends and one day hope to meet. I was so pleased for her recently when she was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award for her services to postpartum illness.

Last autumn when I spoke at the Marce Society conference in Sydney my room mate was Jane Honikman - the lady who founded PSI back in 1987.http://www.janehonikman.com/ What an honour!

I am delighted to be part of such a wonderful group which continues to help families the world over.

Postpartum Support International (PSI) was founded in 1987 by Jane Honikman and is headquartered in Santa Barbara, California. The purpose of the organization is to increase awareness among public and professional communities about the emotional changes that women experience during pregnancy and postpartum. Approximately 15% of all women will experience postpartum depression following the birth of a child. Up to 10% will experience depression or anxiety during pregnancy. When the mental health of the mother is compromised, it affects the entire family.

The organization has a volunteer coordinator in every one of the United States and in 26 countries. PSI disseminates information and resources through the volunteer coordinators, the website and an annual conference. The goal is to provide current information, resources, education, and to advocate for further research and legislation to support perinatal mental health.


I hope I can be a useful PSI member!

Elaine

www.hanzak.com

No comments: